Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dealing with Death

How does one deal with death? My grandmother, who is 89 years of age, has lived a full and long life. Raising 2 daughters, 6 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren so far. She was part of an HUGE Irish family, gaining and losing several siblings over the years, along with many aunts, uncles and cousins in the area. Well, some of you may know, she had a stroke a couple of weeks ago, began to make a recovery and now has become worse again.

They decided to bring her home so she can pass comfortably surrounded by family.

My grandmother will be the fourth close family member to pass away in as many years. I must say that knowing it is coming is not helping at all. Her being fairly confused and medicated does not help, knowing whenever I will be there, she won't remember. Knowing that her confusion along with an infection is where she will not see her youngest great granddaughter again, my daughter. I am just glad she got to meet her before.

It is just tough, knowing that any day, at any moment the matriarch of my mom's side of the family. But I guess that is tough for anyone to deal with. I don't know, I think it is tough trying to be there for my mom as she loses her mom. She lost her mother in law 2 years ago and her husband 4 years ago. I just wish there was more I could do to also help support her.

Please keep my grandmother in your thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately, we do know it is just a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment