Saturday, March 21, 2009

I hate having to call 9-1-1


Well, I had my first experience with the local fire company , Mill Creek.

My wife and I get home around 9:15 last night, when we see a haze lingering in the neighborhood. It was enough that I smelled like smoke. I walked around and couldn't find an obvious source. The last thing I wanted was one of my neighbors to have their house burnt down. So after a brief discussion with my wife, I go ahead and call 9-1-1.

After a brief call, knowing what they need exactly, I wait for the arrival. Lemme tell you how much I cringed after what seemed like a long wait, when I saw the duty chief truck (Dolan -21-8C, Chief-at-Large), rescue pumper (2-6) and an ambulance (A-21) come pulling up. Well, they were cool enough and even though it had mainly dissipated by the time the showed, you could still smell it. And wouldn't you know it, the Chief-at-Large tried to recruit me. But yeah, I was laughing by the time I was walking inside as they were going to drive around the neighborhood with the spotlights on to see if the saw the source. They apperantly had someone a few months ago do the same thing.

I went to bed and didn't turn on the scanner, so I have no idea if they found anything. But I was too tired to care since it wasn't my house burning. So, yeah, that was as exciting as it got. OK, I'm done now. Now that I have written it out, it was even a lamer story then I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment